Thursday, January 29, 2009

January Challenge - Tuiles!!



This month's challenge was brought to us by Karen of Bake My Day and Zorra of 1x umruehren bitte aka Kochtopf. They chose Tuiles from The Chocolate Book by Angélique Schmeink and Nougatine and Chocolate Tuiles from Michel Roux.


Tuiles are very delicate French cookies (I like to say it out-loud a lot, makes me feel like I am in France..). It's a pretty cool story actually - they are named for the french style tiled roofs - the cookies were to resemble the tiles after they were molded.


Overall, this challenge was fun because I had to figure out on my own how to "mold" the cookies and choose what to fill them with. My problem was what I chose... I decided to do a vanilla mousse (a variation from December's challenge) and of course didn't realize how much time that would take me. The cookies and the mousse turned out fabulous even after a snowy car ride to Hull (nothing broke!)







The dough is actually pretty easy to make, it is the sculpting and molding that is the difficult part.






I cut out stencils from cardboard we had lying around the house. I made large circles and butterflies.




The key was to grab the cookies right when they come out of the oven and mold them. For the butterflies, I just bent them a bit for the wings to go up and also added a bit of the dough with cocoa powder in it. To transform the circles into small dishes, I molded them around water glasses and pinched the sides together.




2 comments:

Diana said...

Great job on your challenge! I made bowls too and really like how they turn out.

Anonymous said...

Great work! I tried butterflies, but they just didn't work the way I wanted them to, so I opted for cigar shapes instead.